Friday, September 4, 2009

Rosehall Run 2007 Estate Pinot Noir

Rosehall Run 2007 Estate Pinot Noir (5 out of 5 Stars)

I’ll admit I am fussy when it comes to Pinot Noir, and I have a very short like list. I know a great one from a so-so or just good one, and there are a lot of so-so Pinot Noirs on the market. Don’t get me wrong, we are talking about the most difficult grape to make wine from after all. A good Pinot Noir is still preferred over good Gamay for me but, like I said, good doesn’t get my attention. Thus, my new found love affair with Rosehall run’s new 2007 Estate Pinot Noir (sold as 2007 Pinot Noir Rosehall Run). This is all PEC winery fruit. Right up the road from Norman Hardie, one of my favourite Pinot Noirs. There hasn’t been a worthy challenger to Norm’s Pinot Noir, until now. There msut be something in the soil in the area because I’m having a hard time deciding which is better. Maybe it’s a tie for now.

Dan Sullivan has been a favourite winemaker since I first tried his 2004 Cabernet Franc. I still love it and the 2007 did not disappoint. Since then, many of his wines have made it into my wine cellar, include the 2007 Estate Pinot Noir now. I only bought one bottle – I’ll have to solve that problem later. This is one of the best Pinot Noirs I’ve ever had. While tasting it was a dilemma – spit or swallow? Hmm…it was so lovely on the tongue, with deep fruit, tannins and just the right acidity. A perfect balance of all the things a Pinot Noir is supposed to have. The colour of this Pinot Noir is mesmerizing, the nose full of deep berries, smoke and tobacco. The wine hits the palette and has an amazing velvety smoothness. The berries, burst in flavour, the minerality floats. You’ll not want ot drink, but sip and savour every drop of this wine. It’s on my table with a juicy sirloin steak off the grill tonight…maybe with some grilled Salmon tomorrow.

This will be at the LCBO, or direct at the winery shortly, with a $37.95 price, and while it’s a bit steep, it is priced right for such a powerful Pinot Noir. Get it while you can, I suspect there won’t be much left as this will fly off the shelves.

Time to solve that one bottle problem I have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment